Laelia’s First Birthday

Posted by Jesyka D'Itri Marés on 61 Comments

I can’t believe Laelia’s birthday was already a month ago! I feel like it was just yesterday that we were rushing all over the house and then all over town getting everything ready! I have to admit, I was pretty stressed out right before, and I had a pretty good cry right before we started to set everything up; I was over an hour later than I had wanted to be; I was already running late, and I had to get gas (for some reason, this is my least favorite chore), and then my the zipper on my dress broke on when I sat back down in the car. I should have known better; I was wearing a vintage dress that I had modified myself (à la new dress a day), but the zipper had already broke once, and I am probably 20lbs heavier than when I was when I originally modified the dress! So obvious huge sadface there… (but I will be revealing the dress on this site one day! With a NEW zipper! lol). There are a plethora of things that I wanted to do that didn’t happen. I forgot to order the paper straws, I left my freshly painted ornate frame at home (so much for lucky number 13 on my inspiration board!), and I didn’t have all the candy prepared for the candy jars…

Tyler left earlier than I did because 1) we couldn’t fit everything into one car 2) I needed to finish some stuff up and 3) he was going to make a claim on the spot we picked out weeks before. It was probably the first amazing day we’ve seen in a while in Los Angeles, so Griffith Park was packed! We didn’t get our spot but we got this little cove that I  was secretly hoping we would get, despite the lack of easy access to bathrooms. (I even think it  would be a magical place to get married). We had a medium size helium tank, and we ran out of helium before we finished blowing up all of our balloons! We had 3 left over 36″ balloons, and the entire bag of 12″ balloons… We were still setting up when our first guests arrived, but everyone was happy to help! We quickly forgot all of our early setbacks as things started to get going. :)

My awesome brother Nick and his awesome girlfriend Katie volunteered to pick up the cake from Porto’s in Glendale. If you live in the area and haven’t ever been there, please do yourself a favor and make the trip. Everything there is muy delicioso and they have such great prices! We ordered the chocolate parisian cake for the lower tier, and the white cake with strawberry cream filling for the top tier. The white cake was specifically for Laelia, and whatever other (freaky) people out there who don’t like chocolate… My awesome mom brought some homemade guac and deviled eggs and watermelon and all sorts of other goodies, and my cousin-in-law Becky (of the nature shower invites) somehow managed to cook up some tri tip, with 4 kids under four (including her newborn twins!), and a sick husband! I’m sure her teenaged daughter Marin helped a little though (she is sling riding in a photo below).  Katie and my bestie helped me and Tyler put together the pinwheels and the tissue garland the night before… And of course Andy came through with some AMAZING photographs to capture it all (if you’d like to see more, check them out on flickr)! Laelia’s birthday wouldn’t have happened with out these people!

We are so grateful for our friends and family that came together to help us celebrate Laelia’s first year of life. Love you all! xoxo

Other posts regarding Laelia’s First Birthday:
(2/09/11) 1st Birthday Fete – location, location location!
- (2/21/11) First Birthday Inspiration Board
- (2/28/11) A Name for a Chair
(3/38/11) Pinwheels and Balloons

- (4/06/11) High Chair Reveal
- (4/21/11) Pinwheel and Balloon Invitations
- (4/22/11) A Laelia Outfit #4: Birthday Dress

- (4/28/11) Pinwheel Tutorial: Materials
- (4/29/11) Jesyka’s Pinwheel Tutorial
f you like Laelia’s first birthday, please check out Laelia’s Second Birthday!

*All photos (except the group photo with the large balloons) were taken by Andy Richards of Inkoeht Design*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

61 Responses to Laelia’s First Birthday

Newer Comments →
  1. andy says:

you would have never known all that ruckus happened before the party by the way it turned out! yay YOU! :) one of my fave baby parties yet!

2. Kristin says:

LOVE the balloons! Where did you get them? They would be perfect for a party I want to throw for my son. Everything you did was darling!!!

3. Sarah says:

What a sweet party! Would you mind explaining how you made that adorable garland? It is so festive looking!

4. Hailey says:

I absoltuely love this party…fabulous job! I’m actually using it as inspiration for a baby shower, and I was wondering where you got/how you made the pinwheels? Any insight would be greatly appreciated – thanks!!

5. Alisse says:

I am planning my daughter’s first birthday, and if I could re-create EVERY detail of yours I would love it!! Ok, getting technical here- I can’t find those balloons on ziggo’s with the polka dots- the cutest part! I found the 3′ but no dots… and do you remember if it was “robins egg blue” or “tropical teal”?? I want your exact ones! :)

6. Hi! Here is a link to the raspberry polka dot one: http://www.ziggos.com/3-big-polka-dots-wild-berry-p-24669.html, and here is a link to the robin’s egg polka dot one: http://www.ziggos.com/3-big-polka-dots-robins-egg-blue-p-24666.html . I just searched for “polka dot” to get these to show up, but they also show up under “3′” but not “36″” (although they are the same thing). As my husband would say, they have a poor user interface on their website, lol… Also, I bought 2 tropical teal and 2 robin’s egg! I think I also bought 2 pale blue. The polka dot balloon is the robin’s egg color. :) I’m glad you enjoyed her birthday! Stay tuned for Zoey’s first birthday, which has a very similar theme to Laelia’s birthday. I’m probably going to post it this week!

7. Alisse says:

Oh my goodness, how sweet are you to look up the actual link for me?! I love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

8. alea says:

Hi there!!

Such a super sweet party!! Would you by any chance be able to share where you got the striped hula hoops?? they are awesome!

9. What’s great about the hoops is that I didn’t even plan on them! My mother just picked them up from the dollar tree the day before because she knew I would love the colors, and we just thought they looked adorable around the cake! My mom is obsessed w/ dollar tree, she always gets great little goodies from there. :)

10. alea says:

thats awesome!! thank you for sharing that info with me!! I will be scooten right on down there to see what I might find!! much joy!

11. nicolle says:

What a fabulous party! I love the balloons and the garland and the goody bags and I guess I could go on forever. Little Laelia is a lucky girl. Now, I am wondering.. will you share the font that you used for the polka dotted bags? I think the names pictured were Ocean, Brooklyn .. I am a font fanatic and I love the way this one looks. thanks

12. Thanks so much! Yes, I’m also a font fanatic, lol. The font I used is called Candy Script, by Alejandro Paul. I just love his work! He is my favorite contemporary typogropher! He also made affair, which is the font I used to say “Happy Birthday Laelia” on the first photo of this post. These are both very popular script fonts right now. I used affiar in my wedding invitations & other stationary. I get such a wonderful feeling from it. :) Normally I include what fonts I use in my posts and I didn’t here! Strange.

13. christine says:

Yes, I am planning my daughter’s 1st birthday and I love that garland! Please Please share a tutorial!

14. Pingback: It’s Event Envy Time: A Vintage Pinwheel Soiree (Visual Vocabulary) | igoYOUgo

15. Pingback: Zoey’s First Birthday! | visual vocabulary

16. Mary Ellen Bell says:

I am loving everything about this party! Great job! I was wondering where you got your three tiered cake stand (you mentioned it in your inspiration board). I liked how you could take it apart or use it as one stand. Thanks!

17. Hi! It’s a Martha Stewart Macy’s cake stand set, from the white ware collection. I’m not sure if all three sizes are still available, but there are some square ones I’d love to add to my collection!

18. kristin says:

Hi,
    Getting ready for my daughters first birthday, love all that you did for your daughters!
    Where did you get her napkins? i’m having a hard time finding any that color…
    Thanks

19. kristin says:

Thanks so much!!!
    Also, where did you get her party hat? So simple but so adorable and the confetti garland?
    Thanks this is a huge help!

20. I made both the party hat and the tissue garland. I have a tutorial on my website here, or you can buy them from confetti system directly.

The party hat I made w/ one regular party hat that I covered w/ glitter paper I bought from Paper Source, and I used tissue for the little pom-pom on the end. I never thought to make a tutorial for that, should I?! :)

21. Pingback: Event: Vintage Library Baby Shower | visual vocabulary

22. Amy Domingue says:

Yeah I saw them just a minute ago. I missed them the first time around. Thank you so very much

23. Mui Khamsy says:

Hi Jesyka…I love love love everything about Laelia’s party..the colors are so pretty! I’m trying to put together my baby girl’s first bday party as well and your’s will be the inspiration for it. Where did you get your gift bags and do you have any ideas on what to fill it with? Thanks!

24. Hi Mui! I had a hard time coming up with items to fill the bags with that are also age appropriate–I gave everyone some bubbles and silly pink or aqua glasses, and then I also gave out chalk, and some candy to the older kiddos. Everyone also got a handmade pinwheel too, of course!

25. julie burgin says:

hello:) – Just saw this post of your daughters party and it’s so wonderful. I saw were you could see more photos on flickr so I checked them out. Where did you get the invitations? Such a great party!!

Thanks!